Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Perfect day for soup! On the menu... Chicken Noodle

Fall has arrived in the Pacific Northwest... I absolutely know the reason I love it here is the foggy, rainy weather. We woke up to it today! When it is cool and rainy it just makes you want to light a fire in the fire place, bake some cookies, make some soup and craft or read! Who wouldn't love it? Haha! Okay, I know their are many who wouldn't, you all love the heat and sun. That's okay, I'll keep it!
Koko and I headed up to the Semiahmoo Spit today.

We were the only one's there, so Koko got to chase the birds, off her leash. While I gathered some of these...
I found a cute crafty idea for Halloween.
When we returned home I made a pot of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (a recipe from a very sweet friend that I haven't seen in too long) and Whole Wheat Spritz Cookies.
I started out by boiling 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in about 8 cups of water, that I added salt to.
When the chicken is cooked I shred it and put it back in the pot and add veggies. I usually add whatever I have in the fridge or freezer, but today I did it the hubby's favorite way. I added a few handfuls of prepackaged baby carrots, and half a bag of frozen corn. (If I had had any, I would have added peas too, but we were out). I then added 2 cans of cream of chicken soup. (I have also used 1 can of cream of chicken and one can of celery or mushroom, but all I had today was the cream of chicken).
Add more salt and pepper too! I usually let this simmer on the stove for a while. About an hour before dinner time I make the noodles.
I use the recipe from Better Homes and Garden Cookbook for my noodles.
Sometime I would like to make the wheat or spinach ones, but I made the basic noodles. (I will post the recipe below).
I make a double batch. Put 2 cups of flour, 1 tsp. salt in a bowl. Add 2 eggs and 4 Tbls. milk in a separate bowl and mix until the eggs are blended in.
Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture with a fork then pour the egg mixture into the well, using the fork mix until it starts to pull away from the sides and is all blended in.
Keep going...

Perfect! Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. I just throw a towel over it so it doesn't dry out. About this time, if you made your soup earlier in the day and it is not hot, then bring it back up to a simmer, you want it to be hot when you add the noodles.
When you are ready, roll out half the dough at a time.
Cut it with a pizza cutter. It doesn't have to be perfect... trust me.
Here is mine. See not perfect, just random. Scoop them up and plop them into your soup. Roll out the second half and do the same.
Let the soup simmer with the noodles 10-15 minutes. Then Enjoy!

Mmmm, yum! So easy and so good! This is the hubby's bowl, I bought him some dinner rolls to go with his! I had a whole wheat pita with mine! Smother the roll with homemade jam, mmmm....

Reipe:
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
 cups water
2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 tsp. pepper
4-5 cups of veggies of your choice. carrots, onion, peas, corn, potatoes, mushrooms, celery, green beans.
2 cans of cream of chicken soup (or one can and one can of cream of mushroom, or cream of celery)
Boil the chicken breasts in the water and salt until tender. Remove from water and shred, then place back in water. Add the two cans of soup, and the veggies, let simmer for an hour. Turn off heat until 1 hour before dinner.
One hour before dinner, turn the heat back on the soup. Begin making the noodles:
Home Made Noodles
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 (room temperature) eggs
4 Tbls. milk
Add the flour and the salt to a mixing bowl. In separate bowl mix eggs and milk. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture, stir with a fork until completely mixed, let sit for 20-30 minutes. Roll out dough using extra flour and rolling pin in two batches. Cut with pizza cutter into noodles, plop into simmering soup. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy! Will make about 8 servings.
I have also just made the soup and added premade/prepackaged egg noodles, premade gnocci, dumplings, or just the chicken and veggies is good too!
Let me know if you have any questions! The Whole Wheat Cookies will be up in a bit!

Have a great Wednesday!

Laurie



2 comments:

Sarah said...

That soup looks amazing! I think I might have to try it this week! My hubby would be so proud of me for making homemade noodles! :)

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy! I will try this out!!